Old story about Näkinmäki and Ikkala area.
THE AREA’S HISTORY
In the 15th century Ikkala only had one farm. By the 1540’s four farms had been established; Kokki, Pelli, Anttila and Näkki.
The road that splits Ikkala has existed since 15th century, and might have been an important connecting road. In the 18th century Pusula’s population grew from 700 people to 1700. Ikkala is located in the northern part of Pusula. The area’s biggest farms were turned into horse farms in preparation for the war.
An important event in Ikkala’s history was the building of the Högfors furnace. It bought wood from the surrounding area and brought wealth in the form of seasonal work in logging and log floating.
The village’s own school opened in 1912. When the Tölli mill was established a year later Ikkala got electricity.
At its peak, Ikkala has had a dairy processor, a butcher, aPhone center, a postal office, two general stores, three kiosks and a bank office. Now they’re all closed. When going towards Pusula, the border can be drawn at a big rock at the left side of the road called the devils rock. It was rhought to be haunted.
The Näkki farm was established in the 1540’s. The first recorded owner Påfvel Ickala is from 1939. When Pusula’s population grew in the 18 th century, the Näkki farm got its first rwo crofts. The first telephones in Ikkala were at the Kokki and Näkki farms in 1904.
Families that have previously owned the farm are Maten, Usenius, Packalen, Huhta, Louhipohja and Litja.
The Näkki farm, nowadays called Näkinmäki’s former main building is located at the highest spot on the hectare sized property. Alongside the main building, the property holds a cottage, a granary, a large groud cellar and a barn that is divided into the barn, lower barn, machine hall and hay storage. After the wars, the barn was expanded into an L-shape. A sauna, washing facitilies and an utility room have since been added into the barn building. The new art gallery is renovated in the one part of a barn.
The cottage called Muonamiehentalo has been renovated and accommodations have been added, as well as on second floor of the lower barn summer room. The main building has been renovated in three parts. It was dismantled trom the inside down to the log structure and built again following the instructions of the Finnish Heritage Agency to make it breathable. The property has water rights to both Kotopond and Hiirpond.